Saturday June 27, 2015
Sunrise, FL – The Ontario Hockey League proudly announced that 31 OHL players were selected in the seven rounds of the 2015 NHL Draft held this weekend at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida, representing over 14% of the 211 players picked by all 30 NHL clubs.
The 31 OHL players included seven selected in the first round including four picks in the top-six led by Connor McDavid of the Erie Otters who became the ninth straight CHL player to be selected first overall. The second round of the 2015 NHL Draft also featured seven OHL players bringing the league’s two-round total to 14 representing close to 23% of the top-61 selections.
The OHL contributed to the Canadian Hockey League’s total of 95 players selected including 34 players from the Western Hockey League, and 30 players from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. A total of 54 CHL forwards were selected including 18 from the OHL, along with 37 defencemen (12 OHL), and four goaltenders (1 OHL).
“The NHL Draft is a special time for players to enjoy the experience with their family, friends, billets, and teams,” said CHL President David Branch. “Congratulations on behalf of the CHL to all of our players and their families, as well as our coaches and teams who continue to build the CHL’s development model for amateur athletes as the number one supplier of talent by way of both quantity and quality of players to the NHL.”
14 different OHL teams developed NHL Draft picks in 2015 led by four from the Barrie Colts and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. The four Colts represents a modern draft record, while the Greyhounds also tied their modern draft record set in 2011 and matched again in 2014. The OHL and MasterCard Memorial Cup champion Oshawa Generals had three players selected, while the OHL finalist Erie Otters also had three players chosen. With two players selected, the London Knights continued their record streak of consecutive players chosen each year since 1969.
17 different NHL teams selected at least one OHL player led by the Toronto Maple Leafs and New Jersey Devils with four OHL players each, followed by the Calgary Flames and Tampa Bay Lightning who each selected three OHL players.
Following the 2015 NHL Draft, a total of 2,229 OHL players have been selected since 1969 representing just over 21% of all players.
OHL Players Selected in the 2015 NHL Draft:
(Click on a player to watch post-draft interview)
First round (7 OHL players):
1. Connor McDavid (Erie Otters) – Edmonton Oilers
3. Dylan Strome (Erie Otters) – Arizona Coyotes
4. Mitch Marner (London Knights) – Toronto Maple Leafs
6. Pavel Zacha (Sarnia Sting) – New Jersey Devils
11. Lawson Crouse (Kingston Frontenacs) – Florida Panthers
15. Zachary Senyshyn (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Boston Bruins
24. Travis Konecny (Ottawa 67’s) – Philadelphia Flyers
Second Round (7 OHL players):
33. Mitchell Stephens (Saginaw Spirit) – Tampa Bay Lightning
34. Travis Dermott (Erie Otters) – Toronto Maple Leafs
42. Mackenzie Blackwood (Barrie Colts) – New Jersey Devils
44. Matthew Spencer (Peterborough Petes) – Tampa Bay Lightning
53. Rasmus Andersson (Barrie Colts) – Calgary Flames
54. Graham Knott (Niagara IceDogs) – Chicago Blackhawks
56. Vince Dunn (Niagara IceDogs) – St. Louis Blues
Third Round (5 OHL players):
63. Kyle Capobianco (Sudbury Wolves) – Arizona Coyotes
67. Blake Speers (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – New Jersey Devils
72. Anthony Cirelli (Oshawa Generals) – Tampa Bay Lightning
82. Mitchell Vande Sompel (Oshawa Generals) – New York Islanders
88. Thomas Schemitsch (Owen Sound Attack) – Florida Panthers
Fourth Round (2 OHL players):
97. Colton White (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – New Jersey Devils
103. Chris Martenet (London Knights) – Dallas Stars
Fifth Round (1 OHL player):
134. Matt Schmalz (Sudbury Wolves) – Los Angeles Kings
Sixth Round (4 OHL players):
155. Stephen Desrocher (Oshawa Generals) – Toronto Maple Leafs
164. Roy Radke (Barrie Colts) – Chicago Blackhawks
166. Andrew Mangiapane (Barrie Colts) – Calgary Flames
176. Liam Dunda (Owen Sound Attack) – St. Louis Blues
Seventh Round (5 OHL players):
185. Nikita Korostelev (Sarnia Sting) – Toronto Maple Leafs
186. Steven Lorentz (Peterborough Petes) – Carolina Hurricanes
196. Riley Bruce (North Bay Battalion) – Calgary Flames
201. Gustav Bouramman (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Minnesota Wild
207. Jeremiah Addison (Ottawa 67’s) – Montreal Canadiens