OHL Coaches Conference
SATURDAY JUNE 2, 2018 AT UOIT IN OSHAWA, ON
The Ontario Hockey League is pleased to hold the 5th annual OHL Coaches Conference providing minor hockey coaches the opportunity to learn from OHL, AHL, and NHL personnel in an interactive professional development day.
Programs are open to any coach registered within the OHF, OHA, OWHA, HEO, or HNO, coaching Pee-Wee ‘AAA’, Minor Bantam and Major Bantam ‘AE to AAA’, Minor Midget and Midget ‘AE to AAA’ and all levels of junior hockey.
The event will be held on Saturday June 2, 2018 on the campus of UOIT in Oshawa, ON.
All attending coaches will receive three certification maintenance points towards their Hockey Canada coaching levels.
The cost for the one day program is $200 and will include a welcome gift from the OHL, all presented materials and lunch.
- 8:30- 9:00am Registration
- 9:05am Welcome Message – David Branch (Commissioner, OHL)
- 9:15am Foundational & Functional Skill Development – Troy Smith (Head Coach, Saginaw Spirit)
- 10:15am Power Play – Ryan Oulahen (Head Coach, Flint Firebirds)
- 11:15am Developing Defencemen – Chris Hajt (Assistant Coach, Buffalo Sabres)
- 12:15pm Lunch
- 1:15pm Building a Championship Team Culture – Paul McFarland (Assistant Coach, Florida Panthers)
- 2:15pm Penalty Kill – Ryan Mougenel (Assistant Coach, San Jose Barracuda)
- 3:15pm Helping You Understand Youth Athlete Mental Health – Joe Kim (Canadian Mental Health Association)
- 4:15pm Player Selection & Evaluation – James Richmond (Head Coach & GM, Mississauga Steelheads)
- 5:15pm Depart
- Alumni of the Windsor Spitfires & Kitchener Rangers
- Alumni of the Acadia Axeman
- Former assistant coach with Team Canada Red at the 2015 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
- Former Head Coach for Canada’s National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team
- Former Assistant Coach of the Oshawa Generals & Kingston Frontenacs
- Currently the Assistant Coach of the Florida Panthers
- Alumni of the Guelph Storm
- Alumni of the Buffalo Sabres
- Former Asst. GM and Asst. Coach of the Guelph Storm
- Former Asst. Coach with Manchester Monarchs & Ontario Reign
- Currently the Assistant Coach of the Buffalo Sabres
- Alumni of the Detroit Jr Red Wings & Plymouth Whalers
- Alumni of the St. FX Axemen
- Former Head Coach for Team Ontario Under 17 Team
- Currently the Head Coach of the Saginaw Spirit
- Richmond was the head coach and general manager for the Aurora Tigers of Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL)
- Was also a member of the player development staff for the Los Angeles Kings.
- Prior to Aurora, he also spent five seasons (2005-2010) as the head coach of the Georgetown Raiders. During his tenure with Aurora, Richmond improved his club’s record each season and was named the 2013/14 and 2014/15 OJHL Coach-of-the-Year. In addition to his coaching awards in the OJHL
- Currently the General Manager & Head Coach of the Mississauga Steelheads
- Alumni of the Brampton Battalion
- Played for the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins for four seasons, including one season as captain
- Assistant Coach of the Brampton/North Bay Battalion
- Head Coach, Team Canada World Under 17 Challenge in 2017
- Currently the Head Coach of the Flint Firebirds
- Alumni of the Owen Sound Attack & Kitchener Rangers
- Former Head Coach with the Las Vegas Wranglers
- Former Assistant Coach with Hershey Bears
- Currently the Assistant Coach of the San Jose Barracuda
- Director of Communications, Canadian Mental Health Association
Registration for the 2018 OHL Coaches Conference can be completed at the below registration link.
For more information please contact:
OHL Senior Director of Hockey Development & Special Events
Phone: 416-299-8700 ext. 228