2014-15 OHL On-Ice Player Safety Initiatives
Wednesday August 20, 2014
In cooperation with the Canadian Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League today announced a series of On-Ice Player Safety Initiatives to augment the ongoing support of all players.
Such initiatives were ratified at the Annual Meeting of the Ontario Hockey League on the 15th of August, 2014 in Kingston, Ontario.
On-Ice Player Safety Initiatives
- The OHL will be augmenting the current staged fight rule whereby players receive an automatic game misconduct for a fight occurring immediately following the drop of the puck at the commencement of a period or game. Such rule has been expanded so as to include a fight which occurs immediately following any faceoff during the game. Should a staged fight occur, the player(s) involved shall each receive a game misconduct in addition to the major penalty and any other penalties assessed.
- If a player receives a third game misconduct during the season for a combination of any 5 minute major and game misconduct penalties for checking to the head, checking from behind, boarding, kneeing and clipping, for which suspensions have not previously been applied, he shall receive an automatic one (1) game suspension. For each subsequent game misconduct, the suspension shall be increased accordingly.
- If a player receives a third minor penalty for instigating during the season, he shall receive an automatic one (1) game suspension. For each subsequent instigating minor penalty, the suspension shall be increased accordingly.
- The number of fighting majors that a player can receive in a game before a game misconduct is assessed shall be reduced from three (3) to two (2).
- If a player receives a fourth minor penalty during the regular season in any one of the following categories, ie., checking from behind, checking to the head, kneeing, clipping or boarding, he shall receive a one (1) game suspension. For each subsequent minor penalty in any of the particular categories, the suspension shall be increased accordingly.
- Each OHL Member Team shall have a threshold of three (3) major penalties for fighting during each game. A disciplinary fine shall be assessed for each team exceeding such threshold.
The 2014-15 OHL Exhibition Schedule opens on Saturday August 31 with the Regular Season set to begin on Wednesday September 24.