Toronto, Ont. – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that 31 OHL players were selected in the seven rounds of the 2020 NHL Draft held virtually on Oct. 6-7 representing approximately 14% of all 217 players picked by the NHL’s 31 teams.
The 31 OHL players includes seven selected in the first round headed by Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves, chosen second overall by the Los Angeles Kings. The OHL featured five players selected in the top 10, the most by the League since 2010. Four OHL players were picked in the second round of the draft, bringing the League’s opening two-round total to 11.
A total of 78 Canadian Hockey League players were chosen including 31 from the Ontario Hockey League, 28 from the Western Hockey League and 19 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
By position, a total of 22 OHL forwards were selected, as well as seven defencemen and two goaltenders. Among the OHL’s drafted players, 22 are selections born in 2002 and six are late 2001-born picks. Three 2000-born players were selected in Guelph’s Nico Daws (3rd round, New Jersey), Erie’s Chad Yetman (6th round, Chicago Blackhawks) and Saginaw’s Ilya Solovyov (7th round, Calgary Flames).
17 of the OHL’s 20 member clubs developed NHL Draft talent in 2020 led by the Soo Greyhounds who produced four picks. The Ottawa 67’s and Sudbury Wolves both produced three selections, while the Barrie Colts, Erie Otters, Kingston Frontenacs, Kitchener Rangers, London Knights, Saginaw Spirit and Windsor Spitfires all had a pair of players selected. The Knights maintained their record streak of players chosen annually since 1969.
20 of the NHL’s 31 teams selected at least one OHL player. The Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, St. Louis Blues and Tampa Bay Lightning picked up two each.
A total of 17 OHL players selected were invited to compete in the 2020 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Hamilton, Ont.
Following the 2020 NHL Draft, a total of 2,410 OHL players have been selected since 1969, representing approximately 20% of all players chosen.
OHL Players Selected in the 2020 NHL Draft:
Click on player name below to watch pick announcement and media availability. More player interviews with be uploaded to ontariohockeyleague.com as they become available.
First Round (7 OHL Players):
2. Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves) – Los Angeles Kings*
6. Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters) – Anaheim Ducks*
8. Jack Quinn (Ottawa 67’s) – Buffalo Sabres*
9. Marco Rossi (Ottawa 67’s) – Minnesota Wild*
10. Cole Perfetti (Saginaw Spirit) – Winnipeg Jets*
23. Tyson Foerster (Barrie Colts) – Philadelphia Flyers*
27. Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting) – Anaheim Ducks*
Second Round (4 OHL Players):
39. Ryan O’Rourke (Soo Greyhounds) – Minnesota Wild*
42. Luke Evangelista (London Knights) – Nashville Predators*
48. Jan Mysak (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Montreal Canadiens
60. Will Cuylle (Windsor Spitfires) – New York Rangers*
Third Round (4 OHL Players):
63. Donovan Sebrango (Kitchener Rangers) – Detroit Red Wings*
75. Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires) – Colorado Avalanche*
76. Danil Gushchin (Niagara IceDogs) – San Jose Sharks**
84. Nico Daws (Guelph Storm) – New Jersey Devils*
93. Jack Thompson (Sudbury Wolves) – Tampa Bay Lightning*
**Gushchin is committed to Niagara for 2020-21 and not included in overall totals
Fourth Round (5 OHL Players):
94. Zayde Wisdom (Kingston Frontenacs) – Philadelphia Flyers
98. Brandon Coe (North Bay Battalion) – San Jose Sharks*
99. Jaromir Pytlik (Soo Greyhounds) – New Jersey Devils*
119. Tanner Dickinson (Soo Greyhounds) – St. Louis Blues
123. Antonio Stranges (London Knights) – Dallas Stars*
Fifth Round (5 OHL Players):
126. Ty Tullio (Oshawa Generals) – Edmonton Oilers
127. Evan Vierling (Barrie Colts) – New York Rangers
128. Martin Chromiak (Kingston Frontenacs) – Los Angeles Kings
141. Isaak Phillips (Sudbury Wolves) – Chicago Blackhawks
145. Ole Bjorgvik-Holm (Mississauga Steelheads) – Columbus Blue Jackets
Sixth Round (4 OHL Players):
162. Evgeniy Oksentyuk (Flint Firebirds) – Dallas Stars
163. Will Cranley (Ottawa 67’s) – St. Louis Blues
172. Chad Yetman (Erie Otters) – Chicago Blackhawks
174. Rory Kerins (Soo Greyhounds) – Calgary Flames
Seventh Round (2 OHL Players):
205. Ilya Solovyov (Saginaw Spirit) – Calgary Flames
217. Declan McDonnell (Kitchener Rangers) – Tampa Bay Lightning
*Invited to 2020 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game
For more information on the 2020 NHL Draft including full results visit nhl.com.