St. Paul, MN – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that 101 CHL players were selected in the seven rounds of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft June 24-25 at the Xcel Energy Centre in Minnesota representing nearly 48% of the 211 drafted players.
The 101 players includes 21 selected in the first round which ties a CHL record set back in 1998 when the first consisted of 27 picks. Also on Friday night, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Red Deer Rebels became the fifth straight CHL player to be selected first overall when he was chosen by the Edmonton Oilers.
Of the 101 players selected, the Ontario Hockey League leads the way with 46 players selected matching the 2008 NHL Entry Draft as their highest total since 1999 when 52 players were selected. This season the Western Hockey League had 33 players, and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League had 22 players selected.
The QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs had five players selected including three in the first round, while the OHL’s Oshawa Generals also had five players selected to lead all CHL clubs. Six different CHL clubs had four players selected including three OHL teams the Plymouth Whalers, the Saginaw Spirit, and the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Three WHL teams also had four players selected including the Edmonton Oil Kings, the Saskatoon Blades, and the Portland Winterhawks who led the 2010 NHL Entry Draft with eight players selected.
Every NHL team with the exception of the Washington Capitals selected at least one CHL player with the Detroit Red Wings and the Ottawa Senators leading the way with six CHL players each.
Canada was the top country represented in the draft with 79 Canadian-born players followed by 64 players born in the United States.
In total, there were 72 defencemen selected, followed by 58 players listed at center, 31 listed at left wing, 23 right wingers, and 19 goaltenders, while seven players were unidentified.
Last season, 107 CHL players were taken in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft led by 43 WHL players, followed by 42 from the OHL, and 22 from the QMJHL.
The CHL continues to be the number one development league in the world and the leading provider of talent to the NHL.
Here is a complete list of all OHL players selected at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (click on a player name to watch a video interview from the 2011 NHL Entry Draft):
First Round (11 OHL players):
2. Gabriel Landeskog (Kitchener Rangers) – Colorado Avalanche
5. Ryan Strome (Niagara IceDogs) – New York Islanders
7. Mark Scheifele (Barrie Colts) – Winnipeg Jets
9. Dougie Hamilton (Niagara IceDogs) – Boston Bruins
12. Ryan Murphy (Kitchener Rangers) – Carolina Hurricanes
21. Stefan Noesen (Plymouth Whalers) – Ottawa Senators
24. Matt Puempel (Peterborough Petes) – Ottawa Senators
25. Stuart Percy (Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors) – Toronto Maple Leafs
27. Vladislav Namestnikov (London Knights) – Tampa Bay Lightning
29. Nicklas Jensen (Oshawa Generals) – Vancouver Canucks
30. Rickard Rakell (Plymouth Whalers) – Anaheim Ducks
Second Round (8 OHL players):
37. Boone Jenner (Oshawa Generals) – Columbus Blue Jackets
40. Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor Spitfires) – Boston Bruins
43. Brandon Saad (Saginaw Spirit) – Chicago Blackhawks
44. Brett Ritchie (Sarnia Sting) – Dallas Stars
54. Scott Harrington (London Knights) – Pittsburgh Penguins
55. Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Detroit Red Wings
56. Lucas Lessio (Oshawa Generals) – Phoenix Coyotes
61. Shane Prince (Ottawa 67’s) – Ottawa Senators
Third Round (11 CHL players):
63. Andrei Pedan (Guelph Storm) – New York Islanders
64. Vincent Trocheck (Saginaw Spirit) – Florida Panthers
65. Joseph Cramarossa (Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors) – Anaheim Ducks
68. Nick Cousins (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Philadelphia Flyers
77. Daniel Catenacci (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Buffalo Sabres
80. Andy Andreoff (Oshawa Generals) – Los Angeles Kings
81. Anthony Camara (Saginaw Spirit) – Boston Bruins
85. Alan Quine (Peterborough Petes) – Detroit Red Wings
86. Josh Leivo (Sudbury Wolves) – Toronto Maple Leafs
88. Jordan Binnington (Owen Sound Attack) – St. Louis Blues
89. Justin Sefton (Sudbury Wolves) – San Jose Sharks
Fourth Round (3 OHL players):
94. Josh Shalla (Saginaw Spirit) – Nashville Predators
114. Tobias Rieder (Kitchener Rangers) – Edmonton Oilers
116. Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals) – Philadelphia Flyers
Fifth Round (5 OHL players):
123. Garrett Meurs (Plymouth Whalers) – Colorado Avalanche
137. Alex Lepkowski (Barrie Colts) – Buffalo Sabres
139. Andrew Shaw (Owen Sound Attack) – Chicago Blackhawks
149. Austen Brassard (Belleville Bulls) – Winnipeg Jets
150. Frank Corrado (Sudbury Wolves) – Vancouver Canucks
Sixth Round (4 OHL players):
152. David Broll (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – Toronto Maple Leafs
155. Andrew Fritsch (Owen Sound Attack) – Phoenix Coyotes
163. Matt Mahalak (Plymouth Whalers) – Carolina Hurricanes
179. Dylan DeMelo (Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors) – San Jose Sharks
Seventh Round (4 OHL players):
185. Mitchell Theoret (Niagara IceDogs) – New York Islanders
190. Garret Sparks (Guelph Storm) – Toronto Maple Leafs
191. Tyler Graovac (Ottawa 67’s) – Minnesota Wild
206. Derek Mathers (Peterborough Petes) – Philadelphia Flyers
Click here to see a complete list of all 101 CHL players selected
For complete results from the 2011 NHL Entry Draft please visit www.nhl.com.