The Ontario Hockey League is pleased to announce the opportunity for a Manager of Communications. The successful candidate will be a key member of the communications department which will contribute to the League and Member Teams’ communication strategy. This role will consist of a combination of remote work and work based out of the League office located at 305 Milner Ave., Scarborough, Ontario.
JOB TITLE: Manager, Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Business & Director, Communications
– Leads in planning and execution of OHL content plan through written features, video interviews, scheduled game night coverage, alumni updates, OHL prospect spotlights and other avenues.
– Shoots weekly video setting up the weekend ahead, discussing happenings league-wide, interesting feature stories and top performers that runs across web and social platforms as well as on in-venue video displays.
– Maintains OHL website with current league news, sponsored content and seeks engaging personal interest stories, community-driven member team initiatives to drive content across platforms.
– Provides an enthusiastic and informed presence on OHL game night coverage across web and social channels, assembling post-game web recaps and updating graphic templates.
– Strategizes new ways to grow OHL social channels and engage fans on new TikTok account, along with established platforms Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
– Creatively furthers league initiatives that stress the importance of education, mental health, diversity and inclusion, respect for women and community engagement.
– Compiles weekly CHL Insider newsletter and assists Director of Communications with assembly of OHL This Week newsletter.
– Present on location to generate content at OHL special events including the OHL Playoffs, OHL Cup and OHL Priority Selection.
– Assists Director of Communications in carrying-out league media accreditation process for Regular Season as well as Conference Finals and OHL Championship Series.
– Assists Director of Communications in creating a communication calendar outline for all events throughout the season.
– Research, compile, and maintain records and various OHL alumni lists.
– Assemble and organize assets and information for Hockey Canada and IIHF events as well as the NHL Draft.
– Assist with special projects and administrative duties as required.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
– Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications, sports management or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Have 2-3 years of experience in the sports industry, preferably in the areas of communications, journalism, marketing or event promotions.
– Has a passion for telling stories and conducting interviews, covering the league through a variety of mediums including both written and on-camera approaches.
– Must be well organized and demonstrate an ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
– Excellent computer and mobile skills, including Microsoft Office and social media applications are essential.
– Some familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are also considered valuable assets.
– A skill set that includes strong leadership, organizational, problem solving, writing and communication skills.
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
– Available to work evenings and weekends in a scheduled fashion throughout the hockey season.
– The candidate may be required to travel to special events and must have access to a car and a valid driver’s license.
– The successful applicant must present a police check record.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, resume and salary expectations by no later than Friday, October 29th, 2021 at 5:00pm ET via email to OHL Director, Communications Josh Sweetland at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.